outage notice?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Aug 31 10:56:43 PDT 2015

On Aug 31, 2015, at 12:53 PM, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
> On Aug 31, 2015, at 1:28 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> On Aug 31, 2015, at 11:40 AM, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
>>> the domain could be re-pointed though (admin at macosforge.org is the tech contact, but it looks like James Berry is the Admin contact and possibly portmgr is the Registrant).
>>
>> Some years ago, DNS control of the MacPorts domains was moved to Mac OS Forge.
>
> the domain registration info says that DNS is provided by Mac OS Forge, but the domain registrant could move that do alternate DNS infrastructure (which is what I was saying).

Oh, I see. Yes, you're right. Still, there's not much difference to the user between the server doesn't respond (what we currently have) and a temporary server delivering a message stating that the server is temporarily out of service. The latter might even have negative consequences, like affecting search engine contents or page rankings.