Swift source now available on GitHub

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Dec 3 18:39:07 PST 2015

On Dec 3, 2015, at 19:29, Lawrence Velázquez wrote:

>> On Dec 3, 2015, at 8:19 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>> Send a pull request to add the equivalent MacPorts instructions.
>
> A bit off-topic, but here's a good one:
>
> https://github.com/apple/swift/pull/17

I didn't read the whole thing but that pull request looks like unconstructive trolling. I was suggesting we submit a constructive pull request, not to replace the Homebrew instructions with MacPorts ones as a joke, but to supplement them for the benefit of users who might want to use one or the other. It's natural that some developers or teams of developers might prefer one package manager or the other, and it's not unexpected that they would write instructions for the package manager with which they're familiar. We can gently remind them that we also exist, and provide a pull request to show both solutions with equal weight. Fink instructions could also be added, if anyone knows what the instructions are to install with Fink, and if anyone knows if these programs are available in Fink and what the packages are called there.