Build Reproducibility Workshop Report

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Thu Dec 10 15:53:45 PST 2015

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 05:39:47PM -0600, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> But it thought we were saying the portindex wouldn't be generated
> correctly if use-commit-times=yes. I certainly remember problems along
> those lines years ago...

The portindex generation re-indexes all Portfiles whose mtime is newer
than that of the old portindex. After generation, it sets the mtime of
the new portindex to largest mtime of any of the indexed Portfiles.

Since the newest date a portindex can have with this algorithm is the
date of the 'svn up' and all committed changes up to this time have been
included in the portindex, this is safe.

It is possible that the portindex generation did not always have this
method to determine the mtime of the portindex, which would explain the
problems you recall.

--
Clemens