writing Tcl port utilities

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 04:39:02 PST 2015

Hi,

As a port maintainer it happens that I need to act on data (that I normally [= in Portfiles] obtain through procedures and/or a PortGroup) outside of the regular port configure/build/etc phases. This happens most often when I need to update a series of (sub)ports, like at the moment (KF5 Frameworks 5.17.0 was released).

For instance, I have procedures that declare frameworks dependencies in a mode readable fashion, and now I want to obtain a clear version of just the frameworks port names.

Ideally I'd be able to write a Tcl script that does the required setting up that would also happen before parsing a Portfile (including inclusing of PortGroups), and I'd then be able to invoke the procedure(s) of interest and print their output.

Would it be possible to implement a mechanism allowing this, so that one could use something along the lines of

%> port execute foo.tcl

and, by extension, put `#!/usr/bin/env port execute` in the file's 1st line?

Thanks,
René