Migration issue

Adam Dershowitz dersh at alum.mit.edu
Wed Dec 16 12:48:59 PST 2015

>>> If perl5 +perl5_16 installs version 5.22.1 for you, that certainly
>>> shouldn't have happened.
>>
>> Sorry I wasn’t clear.  I just meant that I perl5 shows this:
>> perl5 @5.22.1_0+perl5_16 (active)
>>
>> So, it is version 5.22  But, it ddid install 5_16.
>>

> The "version number" of the perl5 port means absolutely nothing because the perl5 port installs nothing, other than symlinks to the version of perl that you've requested via your variant selection. It might be clearer and help avoid this confusion if we changed the version number of the perl5 port to something that is clearly not a version number of the perl software, such as 1.0 or 20151216.

Thanks.  That makes sense.
I was reaching to make sense of it all, because currently the situation is I upgraded to 10.11 so I removed all my ports, and now can’t get many of my ports reinstalled because perl seems critical to a bunch of other ports, and was really trying to just figure out the cause.

—Adam