[MacPorts] #50062: Please restore the ability to install stable Perl versions from 5.8 onward.

David Evans devans at macports.org
Tue Dec 22 12:25:48 PST 2015

On 12/22/15 10:46 AM, Felipe Gasper wrote:
> How about just removing the modules and just leaving the interpreter, then, along with associated scripts like “cpan”?
> That will allow for quick and easy (re-)installation of modules.
>
> I myself keep the multiple Perl interpreters around more to compare core features in the language than anything else.
>
> -FG

There's not much hope at this point for the official restoration of these older perl ports.  After much discussion on
the various lists, the process to remove them began over a year ago.  Support for non-core Perl modules for these ports
was discontinued in January of 2015. Removal of support for perl variants +perl5_8, +perl5_10, +perl5_12, +perl5_14
began in February and has been ongoing throughout this year.  It's only this month that the perl interpreters themselves
were finally retired. No current ports depend upon them.

The current plan is to continue this effort with a target to remove support for perl5.16 perl5.18 perl5.20 as soon as
current dependencies can be removed and only provide support for the current stable version of perl from that point forward.

It would take a major outpouring of demand for the old multiple perl version system and a corresponding major offering
of manpower to maintain it to change this plan.  Realistically, I don't see this happening.

For users who would like to checkout svn versions of these, now officially discontinued, perl versions (perl5.8 perl5.10
perl5.12 perl5.14) for their own use, without any warranty or support, see "How to install an older version of a port".

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/InstallingOlderPort#Howtoinstallanolderversionofaport.

Again, the most recent svn revision before they were removed was r131310.