portindex ignores (filters out) unchanged port

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Mon Dec 28 05:33:24 PST 2015

Somewhat off-topic: One problem that I'm often experiencing is that
PortIndex doesn't *remove* the port from the index.

Example: I created a new port under "sysutils" without checking
whether such a port already existed in MacPorts. In fact that port was
already under "lang" and I suddenly had two port with the same name
under two categories. I removed the one I created, but I wasn't able
to do anything with the old port.

The only recovery I was able to come up with was deleting PortIndex,
but that meant waiting for that horrible p5-graveyard to finish the
work.

Am I the only one experiencing the problem that entries don't get
removed from the index once the files are gone?

----------

While it would be great if PortIndex could ignore reindexing subport,
I don't see any easy way to do that. The discussion about the
requirement to have the port name and port dir under the same name
could be relaxed from the technical point of view. There was a strong
reason to enforce that before introduction of subports. Now the
subports can have arbitrary names anyway, so relying on the folder
name being the same as the port one wants to install is not always
100% helpful either. I'm still somewhat in favour of keeping that rule
to avoid an arbitrary amount of mess from different developers having
completely different ideas about what the perfect folder name should
be, even though there are some valid reasons to argue differently.

Mojca