Using xz by default for compression

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Tue Feb 3 08:15:19 PST 2015

Hi,

----- On 3 Feb, 2015, at 16:45, René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com wrote:

>> sudo port upgrade gettext
>> --->  Deactivating gettext @0.19.2_0+universal
>> --->  Activating gettext @0.19.4_0+universal
>> dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libintl.8.dylib
>>
>>   Referenced from: /opt/local/bin/xz
>>   Reason: image not found
>>
>> Error: org.macports.activate for port gettext returned: Image error: Source
>> file
>> /Volumes/Debian/MP9/var/macports/software/gettext/mpextractGjk8IUpx/opt/loc
>> al/bin/autopoint does not appear to exist (cannot lstat it).  Unable to
>> activate port gettext. Warning: targets not executed for gettext:
>> org.macports.activate

Precisely the reason why you cannot use MacPorts-built stuff as a dependency
for MacPorts internals. If we're going to do this correctly, we have to package
xz separately, like we do with Tcl.

> TBH, it took me a while to notice the bit about libintl . bzip2 indeed doesn't
> depend on libintl; can xz be built so that it doesn't either?

In any case it would be possible to bulid xz in a way so it uses system libintl.
Ideally, Apple would just ship xz, though.

--
Clemens Lang