OpenGL/GLX dual link error in VLC 2.2.0 git/master via MacPorts on OS X

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at macports.org
Sat Feb 7 12:36:54 PST 2015

> On Feb 7, 2015, at 04:23, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org> wrote:
>
> And Jeremy reopend tickets when clearly asked to not reopen without more
> info?

Yes, I reopened tickets for *real problems* that were closed by rude upstream developers who did not wish to fix bugs in their software, and I was continually threatened and insulted by said developers for simply reporting said problems.

>>> Problems should be correctly fixed, not hacked. We're the ones, in the
>>> end, that have to maintain it, not you.
>>>
>>> All other platform maintainers understand that, except Macports.

That's laughable.  I challenge you to enumerate the number of times I've suggested hacking around a problem as the final solution or accepting a quick fix to a problem which decreases maintainability.  I always push for properly engineered solutions and good architecture.

>> No, I don't think that's true. At MacPorts we have to find and walk a fine line, but our needs are comparable to Fink's, HomeBrew's and a few lesser known others, and together we do represent a large enough movement that our needs cannot just be waved off because we don't do everything the exact Mac way, or (in this case), because we happen to have X11 stuff available.
>
> It's funny how VLC on Brew works fine and is used, notably by tomahawk
> (pure Qt application) and we never ever had a problem with them.

VLC also works great on MacPorts, with the exception of the new issue René is discussing now.

> We have numerous patches from all BSD, most Linux distributions, Windows
> and so on, and all of them get merged, with the very notable exception
> of MacPorts.

What are these notable exceptions?  We only have 5 (minor) patches that haven't been integrated:

== PR-34741-no__clang_version__.patch
Fixes improper handling of older versions of clang in modules/gui/macosx/about.m

== buildfix-package.mak.patch and configure.ac-no-arch.patch
Minor build system tweaks

== no-sparkle.patch
Obvious

== static_assert.patch
Obvious

None of these are "hacks" or decrease maintainability for you.

>> Of course I can also find a more hackish fix, like the fix I used to build against Qt4 instead of Qt5, but giving us the impression that we're on our own if we don't follow your build recipe exactly (because we can't) will only discourage us from sharing proper patches.
>
> You can't use bootstrap, and configure?

We do use bootstrap and configure.