~/.macports

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Tue Feb 10 07:11:04 PST 2015

Hi,

----- On 10 Feb, 2015, at 13:57, René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com wrote:

>> ~/.macports is used instead of /opt/local/var/macports when you run MacPorts in
>> a root installation but without root privileges. As such, MacPorts will put
>
> When `macportsuser root` in macports.conf?

No, when MacPorts is configured without --with-no-root-privileges (which is the
default). Please do not set "macportsuser root" in macports.conf, that's a
security issue and breaks privilege separation.

> I don't know if it's supported practice, but I find it works fine to set
> macportsuser to myself. After all, that's what it boils down to :)

It's not supported practice, and no, the default of "macports" does not boil
down to equal capabilities as your user account. Setting macportsuser to
yourself allows build systems to read and write your $HOME, the default of
"macports" does not.

> Hmmm, does something look at the permissions in ${prefix}/var/macports or will
> things just fail if you execute commands in the "fetch, extract, ..., destroot"
> series and don't have appropriate permissions to the directories used for those
> commands?
> I'd say it's the latter.

I think the former, but only for a top directory, at which point it diverts to
~/.macports. Read the code if you want to know the details.

--
Clemens Lang