memberlist

Arno Hautala arno at alum.wpi.edu
Tue Feb 10 07:49:40 PST 2015

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 10:23 AM, René J.V. <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> I realised later that I should have evoked "knowledge of how many copies a given person would get". There are valid situations in which you'd like (or should) know if someone is on the list and would thus get a non-zero number of copies ;)

I'm not sure I understand this. You either want to be sure someone
gets a message and add them to the TO/CC list, or you just send to the
list. There's no way to ensure they *won't* get a message.

>>get a duplicate. You and the list are in the To and CC fields with
>>this message. Did you get it twice?
>
> No, not that I can see (= unless gmail hid an additional copy somewhere, but it could also be that gmail consolidated the copies).

I'm pretty sure it's the list software that sees that an address is
already on the list and doesn't send an additional copy to them.

>>It's only a mail list, but it feels weird to make that publicly
>>visible. (visible only to members is essentially the same thing)
>
> I don't see how, esp. if you put the entries through a filter that makes them useless to people who don't already know the full address.

Censoring the addresses has problems. If you obscure the server
portion it can be fairly easy to guess that rjvbertin at g... might be
gmail. And r... at gmail.com isn't helpful either. I think Trac takes the
latter approach, at least for non-logged in users.

I keep having to remind myself that I'm just talking about an email
list, that I post to, and is archived publicly. If this were to be
implemented (I'm sure it's not available in the stock software) it
would have to be opt-in. And at least for the proposed purpose,
doesn't that defeat the goal?

> And then there's additional potentially interesting info that could be recorded alongside: join date, location (if shared and as precise as the user  allows), etc. I have no idea if the ML software allows this, but from the few forums on which I am or was moderator I know it's "nice" to have such information. I'd go so far as to say that it increases the sense of community.

It's this "interesting info" that I find creepy. The only scenarios
that I can think of where it's useful are to advertisers. I don't see
how knowing how long I've been subscribed increases any sort of
community.

Maybe I'm just getting more cynical and codgerly.

It'd probably be easier to just set up a MacPorts forum / subreddit
and deal with the additional complexity of another destination for
help and support.

arno  s  hautala    /-|   arno at alum.wpi.edu

pgp b2c9d448