memberlist

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Feb 10 15:02:07 PST 2015

On Feb 10, 2015, at 4:34 PM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> On Tuesday February 10 2015 16:41:19 Arno Hautala wrote:
>
>> If you're on BCC, Mailman wouldn't be able to do anything about it.
>
> Evidently. Is it clever enough to take various ways of representing the To: or CC: addressing into account? Basically, does it look at the pure email address, or does it look at the "human readable" form?
>
> {{{
> Name or Title or Whatever <j.user at domain.tld>
> }}}
>
> Some email clients will adapt a from address to whatever you put in your addressbook for that email address, and that could confuse the list software.

If by "it" you mean Mailman, then as far as I know, it does nothing to deduplicate your mail. It sends the messages it has been instructed to send. So if a message is addressed To a mailing list you're subscribed to, and Cc'd to you, then your incoming mail server will receive two copies of the message. Most incoming mail servers will pass both copies of the message on to your email program. As far as I know, Gmail is unique in that it deduplicates for you and only shows you one copy. I assume it uses the Message-ID to do so.