memberlist

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Tue Feb 10 15:19:48 PST 2015

http://www.list.org/mailman-member/node21.html

> On Feb 10, 2015, at 6:08 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's not unique; Cyrus imapd could be configured to do so in early versions and does it by default in 2.x and later. Since Zimbra started out as Cyrus, I imagine it does dedup by default as well.

> On Feb 10, 2015, at 6:02 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
> As far as I know, Gmail is unique in that it deduplicates for you and only shows you one copy. I assume it uses the Message-ID to do so.

people who have been using email for a while, might also recall this gem from the procmailex man page:

       If  you  are subscribed to several mailinglists and people cross-post
       to some of them, you usually receive  several  duplicate  mails  (one
       from  every  list).  The following simple recipe eliminates duplicate
       mails.  It tells formail to keep an 8KB cache file in which  it  will
       store  the  Message-IDs of the most recent mails you received.  Since
       Message-IDs are guaranteed to be unique for every new mail, they  are
       ideally suited to weed out duplicate mails.  Simply put the following
       recipe at the top of your rcfile, and no duplicate mail will get past
       it.

              :0 Wh: msgid.lock
              | formail -D 8192 msgid.cache

the pigehole sieve plugin for dovecot supports an extension (vnd.dovecot.duplicate) that does this as well.

--
Daniel J. Luke