Naive question about perl versions (LaTeXML)

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 12:47:14 PST 2015

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 3:36 PM, Bruce Miller <bruce.miller at nist.gov> wrote:

> Is the reason for (1) that 5.16 is currently the "default" perl,
> and the reason for (2) that that user currently has perl 5.12
> installed? (and thus should upgrade to perl 5.16)

Roughly yes to both. In the latter case, it is that they have 5.12 as
default (look at the variants of the "perl5" port; while +perl5_16 is
current default, it used to be +perl5_12, and there's no good way to
automatically migrate it to a new default variant), and the message about
deprecated dependencies is somewhat misleading because they should really
be switching the perl5 port variant to a newer one.

Part of the reason for this migration of Perl versions is so we can come up
with a better way to handle future Perl upgrades, btw.