Listing the ports that will be upgraded in advance

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Thu Feb 19 05:20:29 PST 2015

----- On 19 Feb, 2015, at 13:33, René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com wrote:

> Had that today on a remote VM which apparently had a borked doxygen install, and
> which insisted on installing doxygen+docs because that variant exists and the
> dependent port was requested with that variant. I still don't understand, but
> finally a `upgrade --force` to reinstall the regular version solved the issue.

When a port is installed, the variants you pass on the command line will be used
in all dependent ports as well.

> Mojca: I've grown the habit to use -n almost all the time to avoid unasked-for
> upgrading ... but as shown above that doesn't always prevent all upgrading ...

-n is considered harmful, because you will miss required rebuilds that *must* be
done before a software can be used again. Passing -n for upgrade may well have
caused your broken doxygen install. Please do not make using -n a habit unless
you are very well aware of the risks and can identify and fix the fallout.

--
Clemens Lang