Listing the ports that will be upgraded in advance

Michael Dickens michaelld at macports.org
Thu Feb 19 06:22:39 PST 2015

I would love to see this feature added to the "upgrade" process; or,
really, any time a port is installed (in general). Right now, port will
print a list of ports to be installed that are not already installed. It
would be nice for port to print those dependencies needing to be
upgraded (for any reason) as well, giving the user a choice to do the
upgrade or not (for all, not individually; same as for installing
required dependencies).

To get such a list beforehand (of -all- ports needing to be upgraded,
not just those specifically for the port you're interested in upgrading
or installing), you can always use "port outdated". But, the output is
not very user-friendly and sometimes the list is so long that it's not
useful -- e.g., one cannot easily cherry-pick specific ports to be
upgraded in any order because the list goes on and on for pages. - MLD