Listing the ports that will be upgraded in advance

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 15:30:05 PST 2015

On Friday February 20 2015 00:41:05 Clemens Lang wrote:

> > Fine. Than at least give us a "hold" feature to clamp a given port to its
> > current version ... O:-)
>
> That would require versioned dependencies, which MacPorts does not support.

Not necessarily, I think. The easiest way to clamp to the current version would be to make a "shadow port dir that overrides the default one. Besides, what's wrong with "this port has a newer version but it's 'held' so we simply skip the upgrade and hope the user knows what he is doing"? I think we an rely on the version checking already implemented in the configure/cmake code, and possibly try a bit harder (where necessary) to present the actual error message to the user rather than "go check the log file".