undo commit ???

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Mon Feb 23 05:45:27 PST 2015

On Feb 20, 2015, at 4:34 AM, petr <976F at ingv.it> wrote:

> I saw that in r132950 and r132951 you corrected the error I introduced
> with r132349. Thanks for this and sorry for the extra effort!

No worries.

> However, I would like to better understand what went wrong and how am
> I supposed to act in such a situation. I guess, I introduced the issue
> with some inappropriate manipulation to my local sandbox, which than
> got committed. Is it possible to understand what exactly went wrong
> and how to avoid this? What are the correct steps to correct such
> a situation?

As Josh already said, you should avoid using `svn delete` if you don't
actually intend to remove a file or directory from version control, and
you can use `svn revert` to roll back uncommitted changes. It's a good
idea to use `svn status` frequently to verify that your local checkout
is in the state you intended. (See `svn help status` if you need help
deciphering its output.)

To repair a path's history after the fact, you do what `svn help merge`
calls a "reverse merge". This amounts to merging in an older change so
that the history of the branch tip bypasses the broken change(s).

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn-book.html#svn.branchmerge.basicmerging.undo

vq