circular dependencies

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 06:18:53 PST 2015

On Monday February 23 2015 05:22:50 Mihai Moldovan wrote:

> Please don't do this. Tracemode will shadow any files from packages not
> explicitly listed as a dependency. Builds in tracemode will thus
> fail/not recognize harfbuzz at all, even if it installed.

How can it do that without deactivating everything that's not somehow a dependency (and thus making it impossible to do anything while an install is being done), or by duplicating potentially a huge portion of the entire MacPorts tree?

It sounds like a feature that I could appreciate for knowing what the dependencies are (but then that's not what it's supposed to be for, it would seem), but not something that I'd like to have on by default.

In short, in this kind of use case one can only add the dependency (and --enable-harfbuzz) when that port is detected during the configure step, and present the user with a note when it isn't. And maybe I should use different variant names for freetype (+infinality) vs. fontconfig and cairo (+ultimate) . Freetype's dependency on cairo (via harfbuzz) has nothing to do in itself with the Infinality patches; cairo's "Infinality" patch is just a mod to ensure that it respects the customisations configured through fontconfig & infinality.

R.