wxpython-2.8

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Fri Jan 2 08:53:57 PST 2015

Dear Lawrence,

I've noticed that you removed the python 2.4 and 2.5 from
py-wxpython-2.8 and kept 2.6.

For this port it would be somewhat more useful to keep support for
Python 2.6 than for the rest of the modules (because py27-wxpython-2.8
conflicts with py27-wxpython-3.0), but I'm wondering if
py26-wxpyton-2.8 even works after all those other python modules have
been removed. I had an impression that many dependencies have gone
already, but I admit that I had no time to test yet.

I opened a ticket (https://trac.macports.org/ticket/46351) to track
progress towards the day when we will be able to remove dependency on
wxpython-2.8. But until that day comes we should either make sure that
py26-wxpython-2.8 works (by keeping all dependencies) or we should
remove support for 2.6 as well.

Ports that still depend on wxpython-2.8 are:
- python/py-dsv (cca. 1000 lines of possibly abandoned Python code)
- python/py-robotframework-ride

Ports that either pretend to work with 3.0 (and still have issues) or
have alternative interfaces available:
- gis/grass (kind-of-supports 3.0 with many issues)
- python/py-mayavi (supports Qt)
- python/py-pyface (supports Qt)

Mojca