swig-python and python{24,25,31,32}

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sun Jan 4 23:44:48 PST 2015

On 2015-1-5 14:16 , Lawrence Velázquez wrote:
> On Jan 4, 2015, at 10:10 PM, Michael Dickens <michaelld at macports.org> wrote:
>
>> I sincerely hope that -no- ports depend on the selection of "port
>> select" to work correctly; that would be poor Portfile design. At least
>> for GNU Radio (and all of its relatives), we specify which Python to
>> link to, and SWIG just follows what we tell it to do. I don't think SWIG
>> tries to be smart when determining which Python to use; I think they
>> require that the command line specify which one. Thus, when Python 2.7
>> is installed, its library should be specified for SWIG to link against
>> -- no matter the "port select" setting.
>
> I freely admit that I have no idea how SWIG works or how other software uses it. I just noticed that swig-python depends on python_select instead of any particular Python port, which is rather odd at first glance. If that doesn't actually cause any issues, so much the better.

It is a fairly useless dep. I *think* swig-python just needs some
recent-ish version of python to do its thing, and the bindings it
generates will work with any recent enough version. Having python_select
installed does not of course guarantee that any python port is installed
or selected. It probably ends up using the system python?

- Josh