[KDE/Mac] Getting started on Mac OS X

Jeremy Whiting jpwhiting at kde.org
Tue Jan 6 04:28:55 PST 2015

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 2:32 AM, René J.V. <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday January 06 2015 14:36:22 Ian Wadham wrote:
>
> >BTW Xcode, Apple's IDE, has quite a good facility for searching and
> browsing
> >Apple developers' documentation and is a pre-requisite for MacPorts (not
> for
> >the IDE, but for the system software that comes with Xcode).
>
> In fact, Xcode is the only way to peruse an offline copy of the API
> documentation on OS X that I know of.
>
> >> If it's akin to a shared library on linux why aren't they used more
> often?
> >
> >Dunno.  But a Framework is more than just a shared library and does not
> >actually have to include a library or any code… :-)
>
> Frameworks typically contain something that is indeed equivalent to a
> shared library, but as Ian said, they'll also contain header files (if
> required of course) and possibly other stuff. It is basically just a
> standalone prefix to some library (say, libfreetype built with configure
> --prefix=/Library/Frameworks/Freetype.framework/Versions/2) with the
> library binary renamed to the framework basename, some relocations, a bunch
> of symlinks for easy access, and most of all, compiler and linker
> adaptations so they know what to do with the .framework object.
> I'm not sure what you mean with "used more often". If you mean outside of
> OS X, well, there could be any number of reasons, but the main ones could
> well be that 1) the principle is patented and 2) it's really not that
> useful/practical at the end of the day.

Ok I see, so it's basically a place for a dependency of many applications
(library) to contain all it's headers and library itself.

As for "used more often" I mean why don't VirtualBox and other applications
that use Qt ship a Qt framework that they link to, but instead bundle Qt
libraries inside their .app? Just for the convenience of being able to do
VirtualBox.app -> Applications installations instead of a wizard type that
puts the framework in place?

> >> 3. How does one typically build Qt on this platform? When I do it here
> with qt5 cloned from kde:qt5 using branch 5.4 and a separate qt5build
> folder where I run ../qt5/configure -qpa cocoa and such the resulting
> output doesn't show Cocoa as a QPA it is building. Also it doesn't seem to
> build (nor does configure --help show any options to enable) QtScript to
> build, which is required for some frameworks.
>
> Did you read Digia's build instructions for OS X? I'm guessing that they
> set things up so that you need to use little to no build options...

I rebuilt overnight and have a somewhat usable Qt now, but it's missing
Qt5DBus somehow, and I don't see any obvious configuration options for it.
The Qt5 I installed from the digia installer has Qt5DBus, so it should be
possible to build it on OS X... I'll dig a bit more today to figure out why
it's not built.

> >BTW, there is already a port of qt5-mac 5.3.2 on MacPorts, but we cannot
> install
> >it concurrently with Qt 4.  René is working on that problem.
>
> Sadly he cannot force things. I think my work on the qt4-mac side is done
> and available as a draft for testing on trac.macports.org; I'm waiting
> for feedback from people. That in turn might motivate the port maintainer
> to make a move...
> What's complicating matters is that qt4-mac and qt5-mac have different
> maintainers who apparently didn't follow the exact same way of doing things
> (if that's at all possible) and who both appear to have more important
> things to do...

I see, ok, maybe we can put more weight on getting a workable solution
there too :)

BR,
Jeremy