scope of "local" PortGroup definition files

Bradley Giesbrecht pixilla at macports.org
Fri Jan 9 08:51:11 PST 2015

On Jan 9, 2015, at 8:36 AM, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday January 09 2015 07:28:43 Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:
>
>> Is your local tree in sources.conf?
>> grep -v -E "(^ *#|^$)" /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf
>
> Yes. It's my understanding that is required if you want it to be taken into account ...

You can have a local ports that are not in sources.conf and you interact with them by giving port the path to the port dir rather then the name.

>> If you used svn instead of rsync port sync you would not experience this overwrite issue.
>
> Until a change to the file in question was pushed, at which time you'd probably get a conflict error?

Not an error as much as question, incoming change on locally modified file, what do you want to do. The svn documentation can better explain what your options would be, theirs full, mine full, etc.

>> `port sync` updates all sources that aren't marked "nosync" in sources.conf.
>
> The comments in sources.conf
>> #  To prevent a source from synchronizing when `port sync` is used,
>> #  append [nosync] at the end as shown in this example:
>> #  Example: file:///Users/landonf/misc/MacPorts/ports [nosync]
> suggest that a local repo will also be synced if not marked that way, but from what/where?
>
> So, should I change my current
>
> file:///opt/local/site-ports
> rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/ports/ [default]
>
> into
>
> file:///opt/local/site-ports [default] [nosync]
> rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/ports/
>
> or will that prevent me from getting updates at all?

I suggest switching to svn for syncing:
https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/SyncingWithSVN

and then in sources.conf:
file:///opt/local/site-ports [nosync]
file:///opt/local/var/macports/sources/svn.macports.org/trunk/dports/ [default]

or if you want to keep using rsync:
file:///opt/local/site-ports [nosync]
rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/ports/ [default]

With svn there is less reason to use a local repo.

Regards,
Bradley Giesbrecht (pixilla)