Failed cleanup

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Jan 10 08:28:47 PST 2015

On Jan 10, 2015, at 6:45 AM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> NB: one way to speed up things at least as far as user experience goes is postponing the clean step to the end in things like `port upgrade outdated`, and relegating them to a background process if that's possible. It's a bit tricky because port will need to do/launch that clean phase for ports installed successfully in case a port in the todo list fails, but I guess there is a cleanup routine already to which such an action could be appended.

clang takes 20GB of disk space to build. I seldom have that much space free. I certainly don't have have enough space to allow a 20GB build directory to sit around any longer than necessary while other ports are trying to build. So I would not encourage any attempts to defer or delay cleaning.

I have not observed the clean phase taking any longer than it needs to. I do routinely, I would say most of the time even, see port take many minutes to wrap up what it's doing, after the clean phase has completed. I too would assume this has something to do with the registry. I do have rather a lot of ports installed (over 5600) and my registry.db is some 244MiB large; this may be straining sqlite's abilities.