Change in qt/qtbase[dev]: QStandardPaths: Add XDG_CONFIG_DIRS and XDG_DATA_DIRS paths ...

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jan 14 16:58:47 PST 2015

On Jan 14, 2015, at 8:53 AM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> It's been a while since I installed MacPorts from scratch, and I don't think it ever actually modified my startup script, but in principle you only need to add /opt/local/bin (or ${prefix}/bin) to your path.

If you use the binary MacPorts installer, it modifies the PATH in your startup script, if the PATH does not already contain the MacPorts paths. Which startup script it modifies depends on which one(s) you have and what your user's shell is.

> And even that is more or less optional.

It is highly recommended.

> You select the prefix through the MacPorts installer. I think most people take the default (for which binary packages exist),

The binary installer does not give you the option to select the prefix. It is fixed at /opt/local. I considered finding a clever way to allow the installer to let you choose a prefix, but I set that idea aside once we started offering binaries, since the binaries are built for /opt/local only.

You can set a different prefix by compiling from source instead of using the binary installer, but then you miss out on binaries, and may encounter other bugs in ports which assume your prefix is /opt/local.

> and then move the tree and put a symlink at /opt/local if they want to use another location.

That approach is untested and unsupported.