libc++, C++11, and C++14 on Leopard and Snow Leopard

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Thu Jan 15 10:25:38 PST 2015

On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 9:39 AM, Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia wrote:

> This brings a modern toolchain back to OS X Leopard, so users still on that old OS can have C++11 and C++14 support and install ports that require it.

Just a somewhat related question: what is the status of (any) compiler
support for Leopard on PPC?

I tried to install the latest gcc, but I didn't manage to build libgcc
    http://trac.macports.org/ticket/46557

To my big surprize clang-3.4 installed (after approximately 24 hours)
without any issues, but then I was bitten by an error when trying to
compile something, most probably by this:
    https://trac.macports.org/ticket/39052
with a "wontfix" status.

So I'm still stuck with gcc-4.2-only at the moment.

I'm not asking for libc++ on PPC. I know that this might require quite
a bit of effort, but I would like to know if *any* slightly more
modern compiler could be built and used.

--------

PowerPC aside (or included :), it would be really nice to have a few
extra buildbots for 10.6-10.8 (or maybe even 10.5 now that you got it
working) with libc++ being set by default to allow compiling C++11
code.

Mojca