libc++, C++11, and C++14 on Leopard and Snow Leopard

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at macports.org
Thu Jan 15 11:43:12 PST 2015

> On Jan 15, 2015, at 10:25, Mojca Miklavec <mojca at macports.org> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 9:39 AM, Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia wrote:
>>
>> This brings a modern toolchain back to OS X Leopard, so users still on that old OS can have C++11 and C++14 support and install ports that require it.
>
> Just a somewhat related question: what is the status of (any) compiler
> support for Leopard on PPC?

I'm spending a little bit of my spare time on it, but someone with more time and more stake should step up as my spare time is a bit limited ;0

> I tried to install the latest gcc, but I didn't manage to build libgcc
>    http://trac.macports.org/ticket/46557

> To my big surprize clang-3.4 installed (after approximately 24 hours)
> without any issues, but then I was bitten by an error when trying to
> compile something, most probably by this:
>    https://trac.macports.org/ticket/39052
> with a "wontfix" status.

It's not really "wontfix" so much as "upstream to fix" ... but along that line, clang-3.6 should be a bit better (and clang-3.5 could probably work with a few cherry picks from trunk).  Unfortunately, getting to the point of installing clang-3.6 is non-trivial on Leopard/ppc.

Also, I need to fix how compiler-rt builds libclang_rt.osx.a in our clang ports when using SL and older SDKs to include a ppc slice.  As it is now, we can compile just fine, but we don't have the runtime bits for ppc, so linking an executable fails.

> So I'm still stuck with gcc-4.2-only at the moment.

Yes.

> I'm not asking for libc++ on PPC. I know that this might require quite
> a bit of effort, but I would like to know if *any* slightly more
> modern compiler could be built and used.

Yesterday, I was pointed to:

http://www.csl.cornell.edu/~fang/sw/llvm/
https://github.com/fangism/libcxxabi/tree/powerpc-darwin8
https://github.com/fangism/libcxx/tree/powerpc-darwin8

> --------
>
> PowerPC aside (or included :), it would be really nice to have a few
> extra buildbots for 10.6-10.8 (or maybe even 10.5 now that you got it
> working) with libc++ being set by default to allow compiling C++11
> code.

I wouldn't say libc++ is *working* for 10.5.  I got it building, and am using a clang built on top of it to build a bunch of ports, but that's not a thorough testing and verification of C++11.