Forcing a recompilation of an installed port without uninstalling

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at macports.org
Mon Jan 19 01:41:38 PST 2015

In the past, if I've needed to rebuild a port with different settings, I've just uninstalled it first and then re-installed.  For instance, the ppc section of my libc++ guide has the user take the following steps to uninstall the intel-only ports that were required to bootstrap the compiler and then re-install them using the compiler with a ppc slice:

sudo port -v -f uninstall libcxx libcxxabi libmacho libunwind
sudo port -v -s install libcxx universal_archs="x86_64 i386 ppc" configure.compiler=macports-clang-3.6

That works out well because the libcxx libcxxabi libmacho libunwind are not required by the compiler, so the ports can be safely uninstalled and rebuilt.

However, this won't work for dependencies of the compiler.  I can't seem to find a way of forcing re-building a currently installed port if it is already the latest version.  It would be nice to be able to do something like:

sudo port -v -s reinstall clang-3.6 universal_archs="i386 ppc x86_64" configure.compiler=macports-clang-3.6

Is there already a way of doing this that I'm not noticing?