about uninstalling bits from a previous version to build a new version

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 13:01:34 PST 2015

On Monday January 19 2015 15:41:13 Lawrence Velázquez wrote:

> What purpose does it serve to include target header paths while compiling?

Beats me too.

Well, not entirely. Qt has been moving away from a single monolithic build to separate components, and indeed if you look at the Debian packaging of Qt5.3, there are separate package bundles corresponding to qtbase, qtsvg, qtx11extras etc. that have to be built and installed in an appropriate order. With that in mind, there is indeed a use case where required headers have to be found in the target header path.

> > So apparently MacPorts (and Gentoo, and Arch and Fink and a bunch of others) apparently have been missing some provisions to cater to this practice, which would enable ports to move aside parts of (or deactivate) a previous version of itself, and undo that during something like a build.cleanup phase that gets executed even if the build phase doesn't terminate successfully and completely (build error, user interrupt, etc)?
>
> I think improving trace mode would be a better use of time.

I started out tongue-in-cheek, but lost myself in thought experiments ;)

R.