Forcing a recompilation of an installed port without uninstalling

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Tue Jan 20 11:34:30 PST 2015

On Jan 20, 2015, at 7:08 AM, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday January 20 2015 00:08:42 Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> "sudo port -n upgrade --force" is the invocation you're looking for. "--force" forces the upgrade, even if MacPorts thinks the port is up to date while "-n" prevents MacPorts from doing the same to all the dependencies.
>
> Does `upgrade` work like `install` would if you have just done a manual destroot?

Oh, I see what you mean -- `port install` after `port destroot`. I don't really understand your question, then.

`port upgrade --force` is basically a `port install` that's interrupted between the install and activate phases by the deactivation of the old port.

(And it always runs, even if a suitable archive already exists.)

vq