Using xz by default for compression

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 13:27:06 PST 2015

On Sunday January 25 2015 14:29:01 Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> and how much more time does it take to compress/decompress?

Decompression is not noticeably slower or faster, compression is. I'd say that shouldn't be an issue for the build bots, and every user can decide for him/herself whether it is locally.

I'm not working on patches because the support is already there, and requires a point edit in macports.conf to be activated. I'm not familiar with installer development, otherwise I'd propose a patch presenting the user with the choice between xz (slower but more space-efficient compression) and bzip2.

R.