Using xz by default for compression

Eric A. Borisch eborisch at macports.org
Sun Jan 25 15:56:40 PST 2015

FYI, lbzip2 is what you probably want, as it *can* decompress a 'stock'
archive faster. From the man page:

"The lbzip2 utility employs multiple threads and an input-bound splitter
even when decompressing .bz2 files created by standard bzip2."

That said, I'm in favor of having a list of valid suffixes that it can
search for archives against. Doesn't seem too outlandish. A simple script
could be provided for users who would like to recompress their local
archives.

As I posted earlier the benefits of xz (especally xz -9) for clang, llvm,
gcc, and boost (some of the biggest archives in my install) were fairly
significant: clang-3.5 (50% reduction) llvm-3.5 (49% reduction) and gcc48
and 49 (both ~50% the tbz2 size; only saved 20% with "xz" (no -9)).

 - Eric