MacPorts on COW filesystem

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 15:37:58 PDT 2015

On Friday July 10 2015 23:02:57 Clemens Lang wrote:

> > (as well as a significant performance bottleneck).
>
> I am completely at loss how you determine *significant* here. The SQLite

`port installed` taking upwards of 20 minutes before apparently doing anything (as suggested after adding -vd)?
It doesn't help in this case that the pool sits on a device that's mounted on a VM guest over VirtualBox's USB emulation layer.
How long should registry.db-journal be present?

> database is absolutely not MacPorts' performance bottleneck, not by far. I would

Probably not in normal operation on a more common filesystem. But from what I understand it's relatively easy to get severe performance penalties in DB operations on a ZFS dataset if you don't take the nature of that underlying filesystem into account. My experience with the apt/dpkg registry on Linux seems to confirm that, as well as today's observations with the pool mentioned above.

> improvements here, and the changes would actually benefit a large number of
> people rather than a few that happen to run on a COW filesystem.

That's why I asked if there was a way to tune the registry access parameters somewhere; I don't want to spend a lot of time on this. Esp. not since whatever was going on has moved on (access times are reasonable once more).

R.