[138544] trunk/dports/multimedia/ffmpeg/Portfile

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jul 12 15:16:41 PDT 2015

On Jul 12, 2015, at 5:37 AM, Clemens Lang wrote:

> On 11 Jul, 2015, at 23:40, David Evans wrote:
>
>> [138544] trunk/dports/multimedia/ffmpeg/Portfile
>> Revision 138544
>
>> Author devans at macports.org
>> Date 2015-07-11 14:40:03 -0700 (Sat, 11 Jul 2015)
>
>> Log Message ffmpeg: add x265 (HEVC) video support, use license-replace to fix licensing for +gpl2/+gpl3.
>> Modified Paths trunk/dports/multimedia/ffmpeg/Portfile
>

>> +    license-replace         LGPL-2.1+ GPL-2+
>
> Is there a reason why you don't just overwrite license rather than
> replacing the only value that's in there with a different one?

I agree, one normally sets "license"; I haven't seen anyone use "license-replace" before.

> Is license an implicit -append operation

No; "license" is a normal MacPorts "option", which is to say that setting it will overwrite any previous value it had. This is how it is normally used.

> (such as, e.g., notes)?

"notes" is also a normal "option", so setting "notes" will overwrite a previous value. So normally, one should append to "notes" since one normally wants to build up multiple notes, rather than overwriting previous notes.

The only MacPorts value that behaves differently, that I can think of at the moment, is default_variants; "setting" default_variants act as appending.