How to deal with tickets on trac with lots of subscribers and lots of trivial additions?

Mihai Moldovan ionic at macports.org
Wed Jul 15 09:04:57 PDT 2015

On 15.07.2015 05:40 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> I'm still optimistic that someone will point out some useful trac
> plugin to fix the "issue".

Trac plugins need to be installed by the MacOS Forge Admins... I'm still waiting
for https://trac.macports.org/ticket/40987 to land...

> After some more thought: in what way is sending an email to every
> single subscriber of macports-dev (where people cannot even
> unsubscribe and where every maintainer is supposed to be subscribed)
> considered "less spam" than sending an email to every maintainer of an
> affected port (where people can actually unsubscribe easily)?

I'm assuming most people have set up filters to move mailing list posts to a
subdirectory instead the global inbox. In any case, these mails do not target
them directly (own address in CC or To), so it's clear that they don't need to
care about it and can choose to ignore mails.

I keep trac mails delivered to my inbox, because I regard them as "high priority".

>> If they don't, I'll have to infer changes from the svn log/trac timeline, but
>> there's no guarantee I'll catch everything.
>
> This is about one particular ticket where you volunteered to do the
> work (but even then I would ask developers to mail just to you, not to
> the whole mailing list).

I'm not perfect either and might miss something, so a backup is appreciated.

> But we have a "wider problem". I didn't ask
> this question just for the sake of a single ticket.

Yeah, I know... we've been talking about situations like these on IRC when
discussing the libjpeg-turbo switch (which stalled, but will eventually need to
be carried out, too.)

Updating a comment and some other form of communication outside of trac was
deemed a good compromise by larry and me. Maybe replying to a thread on the
mailing list is not a good idea, but this is somewhat of an experiment anyway.

We can see how it goes and change points afterwards for the next "mass update" task.

> I still hope that some better solution must exist somewhere.

It probably does. There might be a trac plugin that does that, but I haven't
searched for one and inclusion of plugins by the admins is notoriously slow.
Note that none of us (not even portmgr) can administrate the trac instance.

Mihai