gimp2 @2.8.14_3: Breaking upgrade is not nice

Peter Brommer p.brommer at warwick.ac.uk
Mon Jul 20 04:18:18 PDT 2015

Hi,

one of the gimp2 changsets http://trac.macports.org/changeset/138249 broke the gimp2 upgrade process for those of us who had gimp2 with quartz and help_browser active. The mutual exclusiveness of those two variants was added in that changeset.

I understand that changes like these need to happen every now and then, but I do want to complain that the error message makes it in my opinion not obvious enough that recent changes to the port cause the error, and how to resolve this issue by hand.

To make my point: this is the error message reported by port upgrade outdated for gimp2:

Error: gimp2: Variant quartz conflicts with help_browser
Error: Unable to open port: Error evaluating variants

And this is the error for gtk-osx-application
--->  Configuring gtk-osx-application
Error:
The gtk-osx-application port has been replaced by 'gtk-osx-application-gtk2'
and 'gtk-osx-application-gtk3'.
Please `sudo port deactivate gtk-osx-application`
followed by `sudo port upgrade -u outdated` or another command to update.
Then if all works as intended `sudo port uninstall gtk-osx-application`

Error: org.macports.configure for port gtk-osx-application returned:
Please see the log file for port gtk-osx-application for details:
    /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_devel_gtk-osx-application/gtk-osx-application/main.log
Error: Unable to upgrade port: 1

The latter one gives clear instructions on how to resolve this issue, the other one leaves the user scrambling to google for help (which, incidentally does not even bring up a how-to page or something like that).

Cheers,

Peter

—