Why is Python 2.7 dependent on db46 and only db46

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Tue Jul 21 06:43:30 PDT 2015

On 2015-07-21 14:35, Vincent Habchi wrote:
> In new the port cyrus5-imapd I committed this morning, I wrote some
> dynamic code to detect the installed db* version and go along with
> it, instead of forcing the installation of another version. Could
> this mechanism be extended, maybe though a port class?

You could only do this if you wrap the choice in variants. Automatic
detection does not work with binary archives. Everything influencing the
build must be defined by the canonical combination of
name/epoch/version/revision/variants for reproducible builds.

And even if the default +db* variant selection depends on the local
active db* version, I guess such a change would trigger more local
builds instead of using binary archives which should be preferred for
most users.

Rainer