Why is Python 2.7 dependent on db46 and only db46

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Tue Jul 21 10:27:18 PDT 2015

> On Jul 21, 2015, at 10:00 AM, Clemens Lang <cal at macports.org> wrote:
> ----- On 21 Jul, 2015, at 15:43, Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org wrote:
>> And even if the default +db* variant selection depends on the local
>> active db* version, I guess such a change would trigger more local
>> builds instead of using binary archives which should be preferred for
>> most users.
>
> However, what we could do -- and I'd argue we should -- is choose a single
> "blessed" version of db and try to use it everywhere. Normally, that would
> just be the latest version.

IIRC oracle changed the bdb license after 4.6. I have a dim recollection that I was going to try to look over the new license to make sure it was reasonable to update the bdb that apr-util (and subversion) use, but I never got around to it.

If someone has looked it over and it’s OK, we should just update everything to whatever the latest (compatible) version is.

At least some ports use db46 because apr-util/subversion use it and they want to use the same version.

--
Daniel J. Luke