startupitem issue with unmounted volume (non-default prefix)

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Fri Jul 24 19:48:00 PDT 2015

On 2015-7-25 09:59 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> I don't remember: any reason why we need a copy/symlink there? Why can't we just put the plist there (and only there)?
>>
>> I believe it was a desire to have everything in $prefix (and maybe to facilitate when people have more than one install in different prefixes?)
>
> But if you have multiple installs, you already have to set "startupitem_install no" and "startupitem_type none" in macports.conf on all but one of them. There would be no significant difference if we were to change MacPorts to install the plist file to its final destination directly, rather than to put a symlink there.

What we should do is:
* Never put anything in /Library/LaunchDaemons at destroot time
* If $startupitem_install is true at activate time, hard-link or copy
(depending on if the volumes differ) the plist to /Library/LaunchDaemons
* Record that we did that so it can be removed at deactivate time

- Josh