Easy access to external repositories.

Artur Szostak aszostak at partner.eso.org
Mon Jun 1 02:27:11 PDT 2015

Dear MacPorts developers,

At the moment there does not appear to be any defined mechanism for an end user to easily select or de-select optional 3rd party repositories. In a ticket I opened some time ago (https://trac.macports.org/ticket/46954), I proposed a way to use a Portfile to update the configuration files sources.conf, archive_sites.conf and pubkeys.conf in a controlled manner, to allow inclusion of such a 3rd party repository. I would like the Portfile in that ticket to be added to MacPorts, which I believe would make it much easier for the average user to include an optional 3rd party repository if they so wish.

Could we get the core developers to have a look at this solution and get some consensus on the idea. It would be nice to get some closure on the ticket.
Thanks.

Kind regards.

Artur