Easy access to external repositories.

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Mon Jun 1 10:45:39 PDT 2015

On 2015-06-01 15:26, Clemens Lang wrote:
>> But sure, what would make it nicer is what I alluded to in a previous email. How
>> about having MacPorts do what YUM does and read additional 3rd party repository
>> configuration files from a directory. Something like
>> ${prefix}/local/etc/macports/sources.conf.d/, and
>> ${prefix}/etc/macports/archive_sites.conf.d/ etc. Then I do not have to modify
>> ${prefix}/local/etc/macports/sources.conf, but rather just add or remove a
>> configuration file from /etc/macports/sources.conf.d/. That would be as clean
>> as it gets I think and how other package managements systems deal with this use
>> case.
>
> Good point, we should implement this.

Furthermore, it would probably be better to have only one file for
everything we configure separately in sources.conf, archive_sites.conf,
and pubkeys.conf at the moment. This would make it easier to add an
additional ports tree with binary archives.

>> Just look at the MacPorts GUI app, that got started as a GSoC project in 2009
>> and is still announced as only a beta product
>> (https://trac.macports.org/wiki/MacPortsGUI).
>
> Yes, we've previously had problems getting our GSoC projects integrated. We've
> made process adjustments that should improve this situation, though.

We still have other branches of GSoC projects lying around that were
finished to 90%, but then nobody integrated and merged the code back to
trunk. Often the students promise to finish their work even after the
summer, but it rarely happens.

Rainer