cloudflare/zlib on OS X

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 01:40:32 PDT 2015

On Monday June 01 2015 21:55:46 Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
>Did you verify that this employ is actually empowered to dictate the company's licensing?

Do you verify that with every bit of code that is available through MacPorts?

I'm sorry, but you're making a way too big fuss out of this. The modified code is made available freely and publicly for others to use, and IMHO I can safely assume that this has been done with the knowledge and by extension silent consent of his employer (Vlad not being the only employee contributing to the repo from what I remember) AND the zlib whatever they call themselves.
I didn't remove any copyright or other smelly stuff, didn't add any either. I'm not considering to ship a binary version of the code nor am I suggesting one should or could. I'm not shipping the code verbatim. It might be possible to write the Portfile such that it grabs the equivalent patch directly from github but there isn't the slightest hint that one cannot redistribute the modifications (I have Vlad's consent in fact).
Last of all, I'm not even proposing my variant for inclusion in MacPorts. It's up for grabs, I've informed others on here about it and the most likely outcome of the licensing question. If anyone wants to investigate this further in light of possible inclusion of the variant, that's fine - if not, too bad for the other MacPorts users.

Unless I hear from other channels that's all I'll have to say about this.

R.