fetching a generated patch from github

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 12:00:15 PDT 2015

On Tuesday June 02 2015 14:24:25 Lawrence Velázquez wrote:

>     patch_sites  https://github.com/larryv/llvm/compare
>     patchfiles   4c919af...master.diff

Does that work when there are other patchfiles too, or at least when there's only a single patchfile to be downloaded?
Does one need a checksum (seems contradictory to using "master" as the patch end-point...)?

> Use .diff instead of .patch. The latter produces mbox-formatted text; if the range covers multiple commits, you'll end up with mail header detritus interspersed throughout. Compare:

I noticed that .patch leaves/includes the commit messages, which is usually far from being 'detritus'.
They don't seem to cause any trouble to the patch command, though.