fetching a generated patch from github

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 12:38:02 PDT 2015

On Tuesday June 02 2015 15:09:48 Lawrence Velázquez wrote:

> > Does one need a checksum (seems contradictory to using "master" as the patch end-point...)?
>
> Yes, you need a checksum. You shouldn't use "master" or any symbolic reference; I only did so as an example.

That's probably the part where I failed to get things working right now: telling base which checksum goes with what file.

> Okay; I wasn't sure if patch could deal with them.

Patchfiles (at least unified diffs) have context, which is why you get those weird @@ lines in them: they describe where to expect the pattern to be found, but also how many of the lines following the @@ are to be included in that pattern.
Patchfiles in Linux packages routinely contain the commit message because that helps understand what the patch does, and it's not uncommon to find similar patches in ${filespath} directories.

R.