rev-upgrade and checking for +universal dependencies (and build dependencies)

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Thu Jun 4 04:15:43 PDT 2015

Hi,

----- On 4 Jun, 2015, at 13:08, René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com wrote:

> It does pick up issues with library compatibility versions. I don't know how it
> accomplishes that, short of doing a dlopen on each binary to be tested. I'm not
> actually sure that *that* would catch all dyld issues, but if it does, wouldn't
> it be possible to let it do the check for all relevant architectures?

I parses the Mach-O header. And it also *does* check for all architectures.
However your inquiry was to make it find out which binary links against a certain
architecture of a library, something rev-upgrade does not do.

> Well, that's what I've done, and I haven't yet found any breakage. I'm just
> concerned that at some point this means I'll be facing a re-install of the
> universal variant, possibly with a whole slew of py27 packages. At least I'll
> know which port is responsible then...

If rev-upgrade didn't detect any problems after you did this, the universal
variant was (a) not required, or (b) required because it's being dlopen(3)'d by
a 32-bit process, which we cannot statically detect.

> BTW: is +universal "exported" to depends_fetch and/or depends_extract
> dependencies too?

No.

--
Clemens Lang