rev-upgrade and checking for +universal dependencies (and build dependencies)

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Thu Jun 4 04:24:10 PDT 2015

On 2015-6-4 20:02 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Jun 4, 2015, at 03:44, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
>>
>> It seems it isn't possible to use rev-upgrade to verify what installed binaries actually depend on the universal variant of their (known) dependencies, correct?
>
> I believe you are correct that rev-upgrade was not designed to verify that, and does not verify that.

It doesn't do any speculative "what would break if this changed" kind of
analysis, no. It does check for mach-o files that currently have more
archs than the libs they are linked with, so you can make a change and
then check if it broke anything.

Seems like 'port installed rdependentof:python27 | grep universal' would
supply the desired information in this case though. (Or 'installed and
depends:python27' to find build deps too. Seems weird that anything
would require a universal python at build time but not runtime though.)

- Josh