rev-upgrade and checking for +universal dependencies (and build dependencies)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jun 4 05:23:24 PDT 2015

On Jun 4, 2015, at 06:08, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> On Thursday June 04 2015 05:02:03 Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>> You can always reinstall python27 without the universal variant and see if something breaks.
>
> Well, that's what I've done, and I haven't yet found any breakage. I'm just concerned that at some point this means I'll be facing a re-install of the universal variant, possibly with a whole slew of py27 packages. At least I'll know which port is responsible then...

Well if you figure out which port you're building universal that depends on python27 but doesn't require it to be universal, we can add depends_skip_archcheck to it then.

>> I think depends_skip_archcheck already covers that.
>
> I don't think that that keyword is discussed on guide.macports,

That's entirely possible. I haven't checked. The guide does tend to lag. Features get implemented first, then documented later when someone with time and energy does so.

> and there is the question to what extent the various depends_ versions are actually useful.

They are all useful.

> I'd presume that depends_fetch, depends_extract and depends_build dependencies aren't installed when installing the binary package of a port,

Correct.

> and I doubt that'd be the case with depends_skip_archcheck for instance. Now if there were a (documented!) `depends_build_skip_archcheck` ...

You misunderstand. depends_skip_archcheck is not a new type of dependency. depends_skip_archcheck does not declare a dependency. Rather, it specifies that an existing dependency does not need to have its architectures verified. So if you want to declare a build dependency on python27 and that architectures don't matter, you would write (untested):

depends_build-append port:python27
depends_skip_archcheck-append python27