compile failures in libgcc

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jun 8 23:41:03 PDT 2015

On Jun 8, 2015, at 10:03 AM, Bjarne D Mathiesen wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>> On Jun 7, 2015, at 2:10 PM, Bjarne D Mathiesen wrote:

>>> Presently, libgcc and gcc49 fail to upgrade :
>>>
>>> #=> port outdated
>>> The following installed ports are outdated:
>>> gcc49                          4.9.2_1 < 4.9.2_2
>>> libgcc                         4.9.2_1 < 5.1.0_1
>>>

>> The gcc build failures are unfamiliar to me:

>> I don't know what these errors mean but I see MacPorts has decided to build with clang. The port blacklists llvm-gcc42, so I assume this means you are running Xcode 4. (Xcode 3.2.6 is recommended for MacPorts on Snow Leopard.) It's possible the old version of clang in Xcode 4 on Snow Leopard is insufficient to compile this code. You could try compiling with a newer MacPorts clang compiler:
>>
>> sudo port clean libgcc
>> sudo port upgrade libgcc configure.compiler=macports-clang-3.4
>>
>> If that works, we can adjust the port's blacklist to exclude the older clang.
>>

> !!! that worked !!! :-D

Thanks for testing! I guess we need to blacklist at least the clang from Xcode 4.0.1 and earlier. We should test whether the clang from Xcode versions 4.2, 4.1 or 4.0.2 works, so that we'll know how far back the clang blacklist needs to go. We'll also have to see which of the gcc ports need this blacklist.

I filed: https://trac.macports.org/ticket/47996

> I've got Xcode 4.0.1 installed. Do you recommend that I downgrade to
> Xcode 3.2.6 ???

Unless you have a specific reason why you need Xcode 4, you'll generally have a smoother experience with MacPorts on OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard using Xcode 3.2.6 instead of Xcode 4. To downgrade, you first have to run the uninstall script included with Xcode and described in its PDF documentation. Then install 3.2.6.

> on https://guide.macports.org/chunked/installing.xcode.html the download
> links in sections 2.2.3 & 2.2.4 don't work anymore :-(

I'm not certain how you got to that page or why it exists. It clearly has problems: two copies of the navigation, and the navigation is not styled correctly. I think this must be an old version of our documentation. We should delete it, but I don't know how to do that.

If you click "Install Xcode" in either of the two navigation menus on that page, you'll be taken to the current version of that documentation:

https://guide.macports.org/chunked/installing.html#installing.xcode

The links there are correct.