gpsbabel suddenly based on qt5-mac thus leaving qt4-mac-based port qlandkartegt in limbo

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 01:39:49 PDT 2015

Marko Käning wrote:

> How to transition from Qt4 to Qt5 more smoothly?? This is going to happen for
> many ports in the future, so, perhaps this is a port where one could try to
> exercise how to do it least disturbingly for users having installed qt4-mac
> ports?!
>
> I - for my part - am still having a fully qt4-mac-based MacPorts system for
> production, which is why I don’t want such automagic transitions to Qt5,
> unless all dependent ports have also migrated to Qt5.
>
> Any ideas?

Yeah, good luck with that.
What you want is a system that detects what the user has installed and adapts
dependencies. The times I tried that my efforts were rejected because behaviour
has to be deterministic. I implemented a port select feature for my own Qt4 and
Qt5 ports, but apparently that's verboten too for ports that are dependencies
for other ports (maybe because it's "implicit/hidden indeterminism").
You'd have to figure in the fact that not all projects will continue to provide
the option to build against either Qt4 or Qt5 for as long as you'll want, partly
because the transition to Qt5 has been going on quite a bit longer than what one
might deduce from its presence in MacPorts.

Your best long-term option will be to configure your own port repository in which
you keep the last "desirable" version of ports that no longer correspond to your
requirements (a priori you should be able to do that with minimal modification if
at all).

R.