gpsbabel suddenly based on qt5-mac thus leaving qt4-mac-based port qlandkartegt in limbo

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Wed Jun 10 14:34:20 PDT 2015

On Jun 10, 2015, at 5:07 PM, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday June 10 2015 13:31:11 Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> You are correct, we don't want ports building themselves differently based
>> on what other ports are installed.
>
> I think one could and probably should allow for global settings (like port select, or using qtchooser in case of a user's Qt "version preference") that control building behaviour, as a compromise.

-1

> (Ultimately, ports *do* build differently when a user doesn't have the latest version of all dependencies installed, be it by choice or because the host OS doesn't allow it.)

We don't support building ports against old versions of dependencies. We don't support users that choose to do this with "-n" or "-p". If a dependency is not supported on a particular system, MacPorts should fail to build it and will not proceed to build the dependent.

There is no supported situation in which a dependency does not upgrade to the latest version before dependents are built.

> And if it's a supported use case to use MacPorts on, say, OS X 10 to build software that targets say OS X 10.6 (maybe even has to be distributed in binary form), then that kind of demand will have to be studied at least.

This is not a supported use case.

vq